Today, Lakeside is a desirable place for people to live, work and play, but this area also has a proud past having played an integral part in British aviation history. The homes at The Residence Lakeside are named after many of the renowned pilots and planes which gave this area its heritage.
During the First World War, the Royal Flying Corps based fighters of 15 Reserve Squadron at the racecourse, before being stationed at a new airstrip which was built alongside it and used to help train pilots fighting the war in France.
In 1934 Doncaster Aviation Centre was opened by Sir Alan Cobham, having championed the case to build a civil airfield in Doncaster, in order to remain competitive with other nations. The development of the new airfield, situated where Lakeside lies today, continued for several years and on July 1, 1936 the first international service to Amsterdam was launched.
In 1938 Air Ministry, 616 (South Yorkshire) fighter squadron of the Auxiliary Air Force was formed and based at Doncaster Airfield. Following the outbreak of the Second World War, the squadron went to the battle station and played an honourable part in the Battle of Britain.
Throughout the Second World War, RAF Doncaster continued to operate as a transport and logistics airfield. Many different transport planes flew from the airport, including the Lysander, Wellington and Harvard, with a number of Lysanders built in a hangar on the airfield site. After the war, the airfield reverted to civilian flying.
In October 1947, the 9 Reserve Flying Training School formed in Doncaster to provide training for RAF reserve pilots.
Having been home to the South Yorkshire Flying Club since 1976, the airfield finally closed on Christmas Day 1992. Peter Skinner, Director of the Doncaster Aero Club, flew the final flight from Doncaster Airport.
Lakeside is home to Aeroventure (the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum) which offers a treasure trove of aviation history, including aircraft and helicopter collections and the chance to explore original wartime buildings of RAF Doncaster.